The Department of Immigration has finally released the occupation ceilings for the 2017-18 Program Year.
It appears to be good news for accountants, Software Engineers and Mechanical Engineers with significantly higher ceilings for these occupations.
Results of the 12 July SkillSelect Round have also been released and this gives a good idea of the minimum points required at the moment for an invitation.
Pro Rata Occupations
There have been increases in the occupation ceiling for the following pro rata occupations - it is quite possible that the required points score will reduce compared to the 2016-17 program year:
- Accountants: Increased by 2285 places to 4785
- Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers: Increased by 639 places to 2178
- Software and Applications Programmers: Increased by 540 places to 6202
- ICT Business and Systems Analysts: Increased by 92 places to 1574
The following occupations had a reduced occupation ceiling - as a result the required points or waiting times may increase:
- Computer Network Professionals: Decreased by 108 places to 1318
- Auditors, Company Secretaries and Corporate Treasurers: Decreased by 86 places to 1327
Ceilings for the following occupations are unchanged at 1000 places:
- Electronics Engineers
- Other Engineering Professionals
We also have the results of the 12 July SkillSelect Round - we saw required points for pro rata occupations being very high. This is most likely a result of a 3-month backlog of EOIs in the system, and we would expect these to reduce over the next few months:
|Auditors, Company Secretaries and Corporate Treasurers
|Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers
|Other Engineering Professionals
|ICT Business and System Analysts
|Software and Applications Programmers
|Computer Network Professionals
70 points were required for all non-pro rata occupations as well in the 12 July round. Waiting time was 3.7 weeks with this score.
We do not yet have an occupation ceiling for the ICT Security Specialist Occupation - this would appear to be an oversight.
The following occupations have experienced significant decreases in their occupation ceilings - It is possible that some of these occupations might go onto the pro rata list in the 2017-18 year:
Source : Acacia
- Bricklayers and Stonemasons: Decreased by 480 places to 1271
- Other Medical Practitioners: Decreased by 315 places to 1000
- Metal Fitters and Machinists: Decreased by 1347 places to 5330
- Solicitors: Decreased by 993 places to 4161
- Engineering Managers: Decreased by 252 places to 1155
- Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics: Decreased by 274 places to 1427
- Social Workers: Decreased by 221 places to 1562
- Special Education Teachers: Decreased by 126 places to 1000
- Carpenters and Joiners: Decreased by 750 places to 6968
- Medical Laboratory Scientists: Decreased by 115 places to 1487
- Chefs: Decreased by 179 places to 2675
- Electronics Trades Workers: Decreased by 115 places to 1878